A daily newsletter summarizing recent activity & interesting start-ups globally
RECENT NOTABLE ACTIVITY – ONLINE PHOTOS
- Chatbooks, a Provo-based automatic photo book creation and printing platform has raised $11.5M in a Series B round of funding led by Aries Capital Partners, Signal Peak and BYU Cougar Capital. Link
- Pickit, a Visby-based marketplace for curated presentation images has raised $4.6M in a Series A round of funding led by Microsoft Ventures. Link
- Sharalike, a Cambridge-based video slideshow creation and sharing platform, has raised $4.1M in a Series A round of funding. Link
- Mylestone, a Boston-based platform to discover the digital memories of the deceased has raised $2.5M in a Series A round of funding led by True Ventures, Founder Collective, Boston Seed Capital, Convergence Ventures and MergeLane. Link
- Photobucket, a Denver-based online photo storage platform has raised $1.7M in a Series F round of funding. Link
- Lobster, a London-based marketplace for user generated content as raised $1.2M in a Series A round of funding led by KL10CH and Nickolay Katorzhnov. Link
- Travelshoot, an Australia-based local photographer marketplace for travellers has raised $500k in a Seed round of funding led by Transition Level. Link
- Vebbler, a Mumbai-based online photo-sharing platform has been selected for Facebook’s FbStart programme and has received $40k as a grant. Link
- Ditto Labs, a Cambridge-based social photo based analytics provider has raised an undisclosed amount in a Series C round of funding led by Red Fort Capital. Link
- Plix, a Gurgaon-based mobile platform to share photos was acquired by OnlineTyari, a multi-lingual test preparation platform, for $1.5M. Link
- WeSnap, an SF-based photo challenge and sharing platform, was acquired by Akkad for an undisclosed amount. Link
- Flipagram, an LA-based photo-video stories creation and sharing platform, was acquired by Toutiao, a personalised news aggregator platform, for an undisclosed amount. Link
- Slyce, a Toronto-based visual search platform for mobile shopping was acquired by Anzu Partners for an undisclosed amount. Link
SOME INTERESTING STARTUPS FOUND
Prisma (2016, SF), a graphic photo transformation app that uses artificial intelligence. One of the early players in the AI based photo transformation sector.
MagePrints (2016, SF), an augmented reality based photo prints provider. Embeds the videos captured along with the photos onto the prints which can be accessed through the app in the form of augmented reality.
LEADER BOARD – ONLINE PHOTOS
Digital Imaging – Editors
PicsArt (2011, SF, $45M) – Mobile photo editor and collage maker. Backed by Insight Venture Partners, Sequoia Capital, DCM Ventures, Graph Ventures and Siguler Guff.
Canva (2012, Surry Hills, $43M) – Online design platform. Backed by 500 Startups, Founders Fund, Felicis Ventures, Shasta Ventures, Matrix Partners, Blackbird Ventures among others.
Digital Imaging – Storage
Photobucket (2003, Denver, $53M, Acq) – Online photo storage website. Backed by Insight Venture Partners, Trinity Ventures, Lowercase Capital, Steamboat Ventures among others. Acquired by Ontela in 2009.
ImageShack (2003, Los Gatos, $15M) – Image hosting and sharing platform. Backed by Sequoia Capital.
Snapfish (1999, SF, $43.5M, Acq) – Photo hosting and customised photo-based products provider. Backed by Mayfield, TransCosmos, Audax Group and CMGI Ventures. Acquired by District Photo in 2015.
Shutterfly (1999, Redwood City, $28M, IPO) – Personalised photo-based products provider. Backed by Mohr Davidow Ventures, Maveron, Silicon Valley Bank, Sutter Hill Ventures, Granite Ventures among others. Went public in 2006.
Social Platforms – Messengers
Snapchat (2011, LA, $2.62B, IPO) – Real-time ephemeral photo messaging service. Backed by Yahoo, Fidelity Investments, Lightspeed Venture Partners, Alibaba, Sequoia Capital, NEA among others. Parent company Snap went public in 2017.
Blink (2014, Beijing, $22M) – Photo sharing and messaging app. Backed by Sequoia Capital, ZhenFund, Sinovation Ventures and Tencent.
Social Platforms – Sharing Platforms
Giphy (2012, NYC, $151M) – GIF creation and sharing platform. Backed by Lightspeed Venture Partners, Draper Fisher Jurvetson, General Catalyst Partners, GV, Betaworks, Lerer Hippeau Ventures among others.
Flipagram (2013, LA, $70M, Acq) – Photo-video stories creation and sharing platform. Backed by Sequoia Capital, Index Ventures, KPCB and MindFund. Acquired by Toutiao in 2017.
Instagram (2010, SF, $57.5M, Acq) – Social photo and video sharing application. Backed by Greylock Partners, Andreessen Horowitz, Sequoia Capital, Benchmark Capital, Thrive Capital, Lowercase Capital and Baseline Ventures. Was acquired by Facebook in 2012.
Social Platforms – Collaborative Albums
JustFamily (2010, Satellite Beach, $4.8M) – Shared photo library and memory journal for families. Backed by Northgate and Desert Digital.
Cluster (2013, SF, $1.6M) – Group based photo sharing app. Backed by First Round Capital, GV, Baseline Ventures and Freestyle Capital.
Social Platforms – Aggregators
WedPics (2011, Raleigh, $10M) – Photo aggregator and album app for weddings. Backed by Venture 51, Great Oaks Venture Capital, OCA Ventures, Middleland Capital, IDEA Fund Partners, Triangle Angel Partners and Bullpen Capital.
Waldo (2015, Austin, $5M) – Face recognition based photo discovery and discovery platform. Backed by Upfront Ventures and Geekdom Fund.
Professional – Photographer Marketplaces
Meike365 (2014, Beijing, $20M) – Marketplace platform for photography services. Backed by unknown investors.
Scoopshot (2010, Helsinki, $11M) – A photographer marketplace. Backed by Conor Venture Partners, Finnish Industry Investment and Suomen Teollisuussijoitus.
Professional – Stock Photography
Shutterstock (2003, NYC, IPO) – Curated marketplace for royalty-free stock imagery. Went public in 2012.
Fotolia (2004, NYC, 225M, Acq) – Royalty-free stock photo marketplace. Backed by TA Associates Management, Mosaic Ventures and KKR & Co. Was acquired by Adobe in 2014 for $800M.
Enterprise Solutions – Product Discovery
Slyce (2012, Toronto, $29M, Acq) – Virtual search platform for mobile shopping. Backed by New York Angels, AlphaNorth Asset Management, Cormark Securities, Beacon Securities, among others.
Dress-plus (2014, Beijing, $10M) – Image based apparel discovery app and a social network for fashion enthusiasts. Backed by Youku Tudou.
Enterprise Solutions – Social Photos Aggregator
Olapic (2010, NYC, $21M, Acq) – User generated image platform for marketing and advertising. Backed by Warby Parker, Contour Venture Partners, Longworth Venture Partners, Great Oaks Venture Capital, Unilever Ventures, among others. Acquired by Monotype in 2016 for $130M.
Enterprise Solutions – Image-based Analytics
Curalate (2012, Philadelphia, $40M) – Image based analytics provider. Backed by First Round Capital, NEA, MentorTech Ventures and Vayner/RSE.
Ditto Labs (2012, Cambridge, $8M) – Social photo based analytics provider. Backed by Cue Ball, Red Fort Capital, Griffon Ventures among others.
Enterprise Solutions – Integrations
Megvii (2011, Beijing, $145M) – Facial recognition technology provider. Backed by Sinovation Ventures, Qiming Ventures, Foxconn Electronics, Legend Star, Ant Financial and Comet Labs.
Clarifai (2013, NYC, $41M) – Deep learning based image & video recognition API provider. Backed by Union Square Ventures, Qualcomm Ventures, NVIDIA, GV, Menlo Ventures among others.
GoPro (2003, San Mateo, $288M, IPO) – HD camera manufacturer for extreme action video photography. Backed by US Venture Partners, Walden International, Riverwood Capital, Steamboat Ventures among others. Went public in 2014.
Light (2013, Palo Alto, $65M) – Multi-aperture computational camera provider. Backed by Bessemer Venture Partners, Charles River Ventures, GV, CrunchFund, Eclipse VC among others.
Leaderboard includes all the top funded, IPO and successfully running bootstrapped companies along with their location, founding year and funding amount.
For latest update visit Online Photos feed.